YoRocko!

Ministry in the Media Matrix

NEXT Church Minneapolis: Leadership, Prototypes, and Infrastructure

with 11 comments

The fourth NEXT Church national gathering ended yesterday, so here are my takeaways.

I said in some posts leading up to the gathering that I was looking for NEXT to articulate some ideals for leadership, to share prototypes of new ministries, and to continue its trajectory of constructive, infrastructure-heavy work of building the next iteration of the Presbyterian church in the United States.

• Leadership: This was a strong emphasis of the gathering and was carried largely by a presentation and workshop led by Mark Ramsey and Kristy Farber of Grace Covenant Presbyterian Church of Asheville. The two drew a very helpful distinction between leaders who invest in strategic planning and those who invest in strategic thinking. The former wants to produce a plan, a course for the future that will ensure viability through the following of articulated steps. The latter wants only to develop the capacity for the church to evaluate the present moment and its opportunities in light of its shared mission, values, and commitments. You accomplish the former with a committee and a document. You accomplish the latter by, in Mark’s great phrase, “funding the theological imagination” of the church. The opportunity is not to set a course for all to follow, but rather to invest in the people of God’s ability to discern which way God is turning us in our day-to-day reality.
  • Leadership (II): Jim Kitchens and Deborah Wright said something that stopped me in my tracks. Best practices are dumb. At least in an adaptive challenge, best practices won’t help you. Because best practices are other peoples’ methods for successfully accomplishing defined aims and solving technical problems. But we, they argued, are in a situation where the aims aren’t clear and the problems aren’t technical. We shouldn’t waste another minute coming up with best practices for being the church today.
  • Prototypes: Ignite presentations gave participants seven minutes each to pitch something. Some pitches were mini sermons, while others really were descriptions of prototypes. Rob Ater described the Presbytery of Milwaukee’s new relational meeting format: prototype. Leanne Masters of Southern Heights Presbyterian Church in Lincoln, Nebraska, described the food forest their church is starting: prototype. And Landon Whitsitt, the Executive and Stated Clerk of the Synod of Mid-America presented Theocademy, a completely free, completely online video curriculum for officers and members going live next month: prototype.
  • Infrastructure: I doubt NEXT’s leadership envisioned it this way, but Casey Wait Fitzgerald’s Biblical storytelling in the event’s worship services and her testimony about the role it plays in her ministry and in her life was all about infrastructure. Casey has completed a certification in Biblical storytelling through an academy run by the Network of Biblical Storytellers. Now she’s got a repertoire of stories that she tells in worship, at conferences, on retreats, and even at home, to share the good news. It’s narrative infrastructure, perhaps the most important kind for a church swimming in a pluralistic postmodern setting.

Two and half days is a long time, and you can cram a wagon full of content in there. NEXT’s organizers did just that. For a more complete picture of what went out, read up on Leslie Scanlon’s articles in The Presbyterian Outlook, which are always artful and informative. John Vest has posted a really thorough reflection on it too. Also, you can spend some time with the event’s hashtag.

NEXT 2014 was reflective, challenging, and hopeful. I’m certainly looking forward to the next NEXT gathering (in Chicago!), but more than that I’m eager to start experimenting with the insights and ideas I got at this one.

Were you there? What’s the biggest thing you got out of it? Were you hoping to get something out of it but didn’t?

About these ads

Written by Rocky Supinger

April 3, 2014 at 6:40 am

Posted in NEXT Church

11 Responses

1. Great recap! Thank you. It is all very hopeful, isn’t it? The prayer/worship services were so powerful for me and filled with beautiful ideas to take home.

Kelley Shin

April 3, 2014 at 9:19 am

2. best line: “invest in the people of God’s ability to discern which way God is turning us in our day-to-day reality.”

jckohnen

April 3, 2014 at 10:30 am

3. […] Another travel option would be the NEXT Church Conference in 2015.  They just wrapped up their 2014 Conference, so the 2015 Conference should be just about a year away.  It will be in Chicago.  I haven’t been to a NEXT Confrerence yet, but I know some of the leadership and have read enough summaries to know that it would be worth your time.   You can read a summary of this year’s conference here. […]

4. thanks — great summary and good to connect, even briefly — lots to take away, incluidng the positive deviant idea, the critique of best practices (like your use of prototype), the lifting up of failure, the subtext of urban ministry and meaningful and engaging worship! What i liked best was the massive sense of energy, creativity and hope, even when we live in such an in-flux context. Thanks again!

john wilkinson

April 4, 2014 at 2:00 pm

5. Rocky, I’m not sure what you mean by infrastructure here. Can you elaborate?

John

April 6, 2014 at 8:07 am

• I can, but I sound much smarter if I don’t.
      The analogy is to walls, electrical circuitry, and plumbing. I have in mind those habits and processes that aim to strengthen the life of congregations, presbyteries, and the denomination. For example, the Ignite presentation about the presbytery of Milwaukee and its new meeting format: an invitation to a well-known speaker is now part of the infrastructure of the presbytery’s gatherings. It’s what makes it hold up in its current form.
      I think other pieces of infrastructure that NEXT is working on are leader development (both among candidates for ministry and longtime pastors), a shared language for describing our context, and even the network of relationships that its national gatherings are forming.
      I do wonder if it’s not a misleading idea, though. Or, at least, if it doesn’t subliminally want a return to Christendom-era institutions. I’m using it loosely. I appreciate being asked to flesh it out.

Rocky Supinger

April 7, 2014 at 5:59 am

• Thanks, Rocky, this is helpful. I see now what you’re recognizing as infrastructure. I think infrastructure is good, I guess I just haven’t been picking up on it so much in the NEXT conversations. I think you’ve highlighted some great examples.

John Vest

April 7, 2014 at 9:42 am

6. […] Children’s time is an art project led by the CE Director. Wait. When I texted her from NEXT that “we should try a Children’s Time that involves kids making some art” I […]

7. Well done Rocky. Look forward to generative conversations with you later. ctk

Charles Taylor Kerchner